Re: MOT Time...

To: Ken C <sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: MOT Time...
From: "M.Hesselink" <M.Hesselink@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:51:27 +0200
Most European countries have some kind of mandatory yearly check-up. In the UK
it's called MoT (short for Ministry of Transport), Germany has the TuV, here in
The Netherlands we have something called APK. It is mandatory for all cars over
3 years old.
It is done by specially appointed garages, a fact that has caused some
controversy, as the same garages make their money by doing the repairs if a car
is rejected. In Germany the TUV check-up is done by independent companies for
that reason.
The check is purely safety- en environment related. Condition of the engine is
not taken into account, as long as the exhaust fumes are within limits. Main
points are brakes, lights, steering and suspension. A car that passes an MoT is
not necessarily in good condition, all you can tell is that it is not unsafe to
drive. Your rusty door sills wouldn't be a problem, as long as they don't
undermine the structure (and thus the safety) of the car.
As the Spitfires door sills are a very important part of the cars structure,
rusted sills could definitely mean an MoT failure!

Marc