Re: MOT Time...

To: dougnad <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: MOT Time...
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 04 Jul 2000 06:53:28 -0500
Yes, rust is a big problem here, both due to the damp climate, and particularly
 since the roads are heavily salted during cold winter spells to prevent icing.
Life expectancy of a car is probably 12-16 years, although some cars have
 galvanised body shells so survive much better (one reason for choosing a
 Citroen for my wife's car).  Now if only someone would make a new galvanised
 body tub for Spitfires that we could swap to.   And sell it nice and cheap...

I, unintentionally, made a killing a few years back due to the variation of
 salting policy in Canada.  I travelled around Canada and the States for 3
 months, but had planned on arriving in Vancouver and leaving from Toronto.  I
 bought a '68 Ford Fairlane in Vancouver for CD$250 - seen as a worthless old
 banger by the owner, since BC do not seem to salt roads at all, so cars last a
 long time and there are plenty of old cars around.  Not a spot of rust on her,
 about 70,000 km, used for a weekly shopping trip for the last 10 years.  Sold
 her in Toronto, where the roads are severely salted, and there were few cars
 over about 10 years old - a 23-year-old Ford, unrestored and rust-free, was a
 true rarity, so I got CD$600 for her!  I admitted to the buyer after the sale
 what I had originally paid, but he didn't mind - he told me he would have paid
 twice what we agreed!

This definitely shows what a major factor road salting is in causing rust.

Richard and Daffy (constantly battling with the dreaded tin-worm)

dougnad@bellatlantic.net on 4Jul2000 12:13 PM