RE: BIZARRE LAWS (all cars)

To: "Michael D. Nugent, Ph.D." <nugentmd@gte.net>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BIZARRE LAWS (all cars)
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:26:40 -0500
Minnesota does the same thing.  I bought a car for $500, but since the book
said $1500, that's what I paid the tax on.  I was moderately irritated.  Of
course, before the rules changed, I bought a $1000 motorcycle for $350.
That's probably why the rules changed.

BillG

SNIP

The hot news here in Washington (the state) is that "use tax" (a form of
sales
tax paid when you first transfer title of a car as the result of a sale) on
cars sold between private parties will no longer be based on what the actual
sales price was if that amount is below the value listed in the
state-approved
"red book."

For example, if you buy a used Spitfire for $1000 and the book lists it as
being worth $2500, your tax bill is based on the $2500.  Creative, aren't
we?!

Mike
Renton, WA

UNSNIP