Re: BIZARRE LAWS (all cars)

To: Fred Thomas <vafred@erols.com>
Subject: Re: BIZARRE LAWS (all cars)
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:39:09 +0000

Fred Thomas wrote:

> Joe, here in Virginia we pay a personel property tax on our cars "EVERY
> YEAR", (4.86 per 100.00), 10.00 for a title, plus a county sticker 20.00,
> plus a state tag 28.50., plus 15.00 for state inspection, plus 20.00 for
> emission, if your car is over 25 years old and you have registered it as a
> classic, then tags are 6.50 for life, but a lot of restrictions apply as to
> usage, not strictly enforced. Yes every year.  "FT"

Yes, many states do the same thing.  Washington also has an excise tax on
vehicles.  However, they waited until I moved to lower it
considerably!

One of the other disgraceful taxes in washington is a (something like 1 or 2
percent) tax on the seller of a home.  That is above and
beyond the normal closing costa and with the excessively high real estate costs
in Washington these days, it took a large chunk out of
my equity when I sold!

The people in Arizona didn't believe me when I told them about that until I
showed them the closing paperwork.

Joe