On MailList politics and knowing who's ones friends are...

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: On MailList politics and knowing who's ones friends are...
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Wed, Aug 16 2000 22:55:17 GMT-0600
Hello Listers,

I have had a very interesting-if negative-exchange of emails tonight with
someone you all know. It has been brought to my attention that, well for lack
of better words, I am being laughed at behind my back for statements that I
have made about my car. And that if I want to rectify matters, I should take
part in the autocross at Triumphest. (Even though I don't care at all for
autocross.)

Furthermore, it has been brought to my attention that many of you who are
snickering at me behind my back because there is a feeling that I am the
guillible victim of Dave.

All I can say is that friends who have driven Nigel have found that what I have
told them to be true. And total strangers I have met locally at shows also find
it to be true. And if Dave is such a shister, victimizing me-why I have I never
paid for a car repair? Why has he been a good friend to me? (And no, I am not
sleeping with him.) All I can say is that there is a list of people from my
club who have met the man, seen his work (other than Nigel) and are very
impressed. If he should ever take outside work, he shan't have any problem!

Now, it has been suggested that the people I have met who felt this way -either
from the Spitfire list or independently of the Spitfire list have said they
were impressed to curry friendship with me and/or didn't know anything to begin
with. I would like to believe that the friendship and comraderie was genuine.
The knowledge, I am certain of.

I will not be goaded into a competition-especially a competition I don't enjoy
participating in (autocross.)

I came here on this List because of 20 year love affair I've had with
Spitfires-(32 years, if you count that I saw my first Spitfire at 9 years old
and have followed them ever since.) To find other of like minds. I didn't come
here to be insulted and to have my friends insulted.

I am vastly hurt at the thought that people I had come to regard as
friends-even through email-would be snickering at me behind my back; would
merely be saying,'Yes, nice car!' to curry my friendship. I cannot say
someplace where it has been made painfully obvious people are so
disrespectful-and where I would have to take everything from here on out with a
grain a salt i.e.-'is so and so saying this nice thing because he's sucking up
but is really snickering at me with other listers behind my back?' I have
enough stress and health problems in my life.

Thank you all for your kind help. I wish you all the best. Anyone who would
wish to contact me off the list is welcome to-but, I won't be subscribing
anymore.

To those who've been kind and sincere-thank you. I do hope we might continue
off list. For those of you who have been insincere and snickering behind my
back-and I am told there's quite a few-you know who you are-and shame on you.

Laura G.