Re: On MailList politics and knowing who's ones friends are...

To: "Laura.G" <Laura.G@141.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: On MailList politics and knowing who's ones friends are...
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 23 Aug 2000 04:34:18 -0500
Laura,

I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, so I have only just returned and
 read about the shocking way you have been treated by someone (or more?) on
 this list.  I do not know what was said, but for it to have provoked this
 reaction from you it must be bad, and I am truly disgusted that a bunch of
 people who I have considered 'friends' should treat each other this way.

My initial reaction was that the culprit(s) should be named, shamed, and
 expelled from the list - if anyone should leave the list it should be them,
 not you.  If they refused to leave, we could all agree to ignore, and refuse
 to reply to, any posting they placed.  However, on reflection, this may only
 lead to more hate floating around the list, and that is not to anyone's
 benefit.  However, if you still feel strongly about this, and this is what it
 would take to get you to re-join the list, then I will support this action.

Since I have seen no more postings from you since the one telling us all you
 were leaving, I am assuming that you have not been persuaded to re-join the
 list.  I simply wish to add my name to the list of those begging you to return
 - there were several such letters copied to the list, and I would be very
 surprised if there have not been more sent directly to you.  We may live
 several thousand miles (and an ocean) apart, but I consider you a friend, and
 do not want to let that friendship go - neither does Daffy wish to lose touch
 with Nigel!

Please, reconsider, and come back to us, who are (at least almost all) your
 friends.  If you do not wish to share the List with those who caused you to
 leave, then I will wholeheartedly support efforts to drive them out, although
 I would prefer that this was not necessary, and that the shock and shame of
 what they have done will suffice to stop something like this happening again.
 If you do not come back, then I, and most other Listers, will be poorer people
 without you in our lives.

Richard and Daffy

P.S.  In England we have a phrase for ignoring, and refusing to talk to, those
 we wish to punish - we "send them to Coventry".  I have no idea where this
 phrase comes from, and since Coventry is the birthplace of all our lovely
 cars, it sounds too pleasant a punishment.  Maybe they should be 'sent to
 Oxford' - it may be the birthplace of Morris and MG, but it is fast becoming
 renowned for traffic schemes that make car travel near impossible, although
 the roads are no safer due to the huge numbers of (mostly empty) buses running
 around!  Joke, joke, please no hate-mail from any Oxford-based listers, if
 there are any!