RE: Puckered gas tank

To: "L&B Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: RE: Puckered gas tank
From: "Bill Miller" <millerb@netusa1.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 20:46:03 -0500
Your tank is not vented.  I'm surprised it runs very long before it starves
out.  You need to make sure the tank is vented.  Either through the cap or
with vent lines depending on the year.  If it has vent lines, find out where
they are crimped or plugged.

Now I have had the same experience with a fuel tank, fortunately it was on a
riding lawn mower, not a car.  Due to a non-vented cap.  I fixed it by
drilling a 1/4 hole in the cap and using a air nozzle and compressed air,
*carefully* blew it up like a balloon and "un puckered" it.  You could most
likely do the same thing, use compressed air and pop it back out.  You could
probably use a rubber ball (or something like it) with a hole drilled
through it to act as a sealer against the filler tube hole.  *carefully* use
compressed air and pop it back out.  Then fill it up, park it outside over a
piece of cardboard, and check the cardboard the next morning for signs of
any newly created leaks.  Hopefully you didn't create any.

Good luck.  I know it works on a 5 gallon lawn mower tank.  Hope it works
for you.  Definitely make sure you vent the tank after you fix it so it
doesn't happen again!

I like your line about the "fool gauge"  :)  I probably have one of those
too!  Oh, you meant fuel gauge!

-Bill