RE: Puckered gas tank

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Puckered gas tank
From: "Simmons, Reid W" <reid.w.simmons@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:34:35 -0700
Actually, the fuel pump can collapse the tank.  I had it happen to mine when
one of the two vent restrictors got plugged.  As the vacuum built up the
idle would gradually increase to upwards of 3000 RPM.  That was my queue to
pop the filler cap and let some air back into the tank.  The first time I
did this the vacuum build-up in the tank was so strong that it nearly sucked
me in!  :-)

BTW Len, the radiator & tank shop charged me $75 but the tank looked like
new when they finished.  (This was done in the Portland, Oregon area where
things tend to be a lot more expensive.)  My only complaint was that they
used a flat black paint on it instead of a semi-gloss.

Reid
'79 Spitfire (original owner)