Puckered gas tank

To: "Spitfire (E-mail)" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Puckered gas tank
From: "L&B Lubbers" <lubbers@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 21:05:49 -0400
Hi all

I sputtered and coasted to a gas station after only 195 kms the other day. I
thought: great, now I have a bench mark. However, today I ran out of gas
after only 158 kms (98 mi.). What? I thought the tank was 45 litres (10 imp.
gal.) but both times I have filled up when supposedly empty, the tank only
takes 25-28 litres (5.5 - 6.2 gal).

The fool gauge shows either 3/4 full when full or 1/4 when empty. So I
presume something might be wrong with the sender in the tank.

Here’s the twist and the reason for the subject line. My tank looks like a
drink box after my thirsty toddler has taken a few swigs. The bottom appears
(from the front or rear) to be sucked up toward the top by a one to two
inches. The front and back are puckered in to match.

I would like to have a 45 litre tank like the rest of you. If I have to stop
for gas after 2 hours of driving, I might as well go back to a bike. It has
similar fun to drive and seating quotients.

Has this happened to anyone? Is this a signal that the tank is not
ventilating as it should? Lastly, can the tank be repaired. I would hope the
tank can be bellowed out to its normal proportions, without causing the
abnormal creases to leak.

Len Lubbers
Ottawa, Ontario
'79 Spitfire