warning light and alternator

Subject: warning light and alternator
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 09:31:23 +0000 (GMT)
You remember that battery warning light that was flickering last week?
Well it wasn't just being a bit odd, it was trying to tell me that my
alternator was on it's way out!  Coming back from work on Friday, first
radio cuts out, then dash lights dim, and then car seriously loses power
and then nothing, about 2 miles from home.

Anyhow I managed to pick up an alternator from Spitfire Graveyard for #10
and fitted it yesterday.  Seems to work ok, got me to work this morning
(although to be on the safe side, no music, heating or lights).  At work
I checked the battery level with a hydrometer, which showed that the
levels are about the same as they were at the beginning of the journey
(about 1/2 an hour journey time).  The hydrometer does seem to show
different levels though depending on how much of the acid is sucked into
it.  Anyway should I have expected a significant charge increase over
this journey?  Is there any other way that I can check the charge?  Am I
using the hydrometer correctly (it's a halfords own-brand one).  The red
dash light doesn't glow any more, which is a good sign, although going on
recent experiences I don't trust just that.

cheers
John & Saskia