Re: warning light and alternator

To: Robert Gunther <rjgunthe@bellatlantic.net>
Subject: Re: warning light and alternator
From: "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:27:58 +0000
Robert Gunther wrote:

> Hi John,
> Most likely it's not the brushes, but the diode pack.  I'm not sure how to
> actually
> take it apart.

Its fairly easy to disassemble. Undo the bolts holding the plastic back on the
alternator, and then you should eb able to see the back of the 2 brushes, one
in the centre of the spindle and one next to it, they are usually held in
place by to metal strips and some small hex head screws. undo these and they
should pop out on little springs. the recomended length is usually quoted in
the manual. something like 5 mm.
There is know reason to take of the pulley/fan!
Cheers
Tim