Re: Re: warning light and alternator

To: Robert Gunther <rjgunthe@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: Re: Re: warning light and alternator
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 10:52:11 -0700
> Run down to "Radio Shack" and buy a cheap voltmeter, VOM or DVM.
> They can be purchased for about 10 bucks.

Good idea!

Voltage s/b around 12 volts.
> without the engine running, and 13 volts with the engine charging.
> If your light is not flickering and is off, then you most likely fixed the
> problem.

Ummm...I hate to break this to you all, watching for the red ign/alt light to
come on, but...the last time my altenator went out, I was coming back from
Ventura and by the time I was half way home, I noticed that my headlights were
dimming and I didn't have any turnsignals-but the red ign light never came on.
Car died 25miles from home, AAA came out and the guy was really nice, trying to
trouble shoot the car. It was then that I noticed that the ign light didn't
light up at all when I turned the key. Got home (with my last AAA free call)
and put the battery on the charger. Noticed again after charging that the light
didn't go on when I turned the key-but at least I had enough charge to run the
car in daylight.

According to my mechanic, that the ign light didn't come on at all was a
symptom of a bad altenator. (This one lasted a WHOLE week!) When we got the
replacement altenator on, guess what? The red light came on when I turned the
key-as it's supposed to.

Nigel's getting a voltmeter from Radio Shack for Christmas!

Laura G.