Re: Engine Rebuild

To: Larry Elswick <sos@kymtnnet.org>
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 22:56:25 -0500
There's an old saying "speed costs money, how fast can you afford to
go?"  It's as valid today, with you, as it was then.  If you've got the
money, you can get 10,000 horsepower out of that engine.  Gonna cost you
upwards of half to a full million dollars, but it can be done.  I say
that to point out the folly of your question.  You need to put some
parameters in it.  What kind of money do you want to spend?  What kind
of performance do you want?  What about life expectency?  These things
all sway the modifications.  After all, nitros and 40psi of boost are
great power increasers, but life expectency is rather short.

As far as every trick in the book, pick up every engine book ever
written, and study them.  Then, you will no most of the tricks in the
book for squeezing power out of your engine.  And as soon as you've done
that, know you're out of date immediately, because in the time it took
you to read these words, at least 60 new tricks have been discovered or
improved on.

As an immediate suggestion, dump the dual exhaust, that's costing you
power.  Then do some serious tuning (how did you select the needles?
what is your advance curve? etc)