RE: wheel bearings AND u-joints

To: <mwk_gjco@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: wheel bearings AND u-joints
From: "Dashwood, Dean" <dean.dashwood@enron.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:26:00 +0100
Hi!

To echo what Bill and others have said, you should not ignore this
switch, mainly because engaging overdrive in reverse can be
catastrophic.

I don't know what gearbox you have, or if it's easy to fit this switch
to your gearbox.  If it's not easy, an alternative is to replace the
switch with a relay.  Connect the secondary circuit of the relay to the
reverse light in such a way that when the reverse light is on, the relay
will open, thus preventing you from accidentally operating the o/d.

Good luck!  Let me know if you want more information.

Dean
--------------

The switch on the gearbox is an inhibitor which allows overdrive to work
in
3rd and 4th only. The lower gears won't be so much of a problem (though
overdrive is unlikely to work very well in those gears due to reduced
operating pressure) but operation in reverse is usually catastrophic
because
of the one-way clutch. Trust me, you really don't want to bypass the
switch......
        Cheers,
                Bill.