Re: wheel bearings AND u-joints

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: wheel bearings AND u-joints
From: "MICHAEL C ROSS" <mikeross@Prodigy.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 20:25:02 -0400
Brad,

I found that the u-joints on my main driveshaft (propshaft
for those across the pond) had no noise or movement.
Howver, after removing the driveshaft to have it balanced I
discovered the u-joints were badly worn.  Moving them by
hand while off the car, I could hear the needle bearings
grinding inside.  They didn't move smoothly, but made jerky
movement, obviously requiring replacement.

I also found one of the grease zerks missing and a dry rusty
hole in the spider.

Mike          http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross

63 Mk1 Spitfire
66 Mk2 Spitfire
68 Mk3 Spitfire (donor body tub for GT6 convertible)
69 GT6+          (donor chassis for GT6 convertible)
70 GT6+