Re: wheel bearings AND u-joints

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheel bearings AND u-joints
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 22:56:46 -0400
At 06:25 PM 7/13/01 -0700, Bradley D Richardson wrote:

>1980 Spit.  I'm getting a faint squeak from one of the wheel bearings
>when driving, it stops when I tap on the brakes or turn a corner.
>
>I'm also getting the very start of a clicking from the rear, I suspect
>it's one of the u-joints.
>
>>From a SAFETY point of view, should we tackle these things right now, or
>since they both just started, would I be ok until the end of the driving
>season, when I can attack it during the winter?

Brad,

  You should be OK until the end of the driving seasion, as long as you don't
plan any really long trips - like coast to coast and back.

Is the wheel bearing a front or rear.  If it's the front, then it's a quick
job - a couple of hours - so you can do that any time.  If it is a rear
bearing then that's a different story.  If you haven't replaced the
bushing you may want to think about rebushing the entire rear end when you
pull it down to do the U joints and bearing.  I've never tried to replace
a Spit's rear bearing.  A friend has a TR6 - which is sort of similar - and
he says it is almost an impossible job, on the 6 anyway.  When you pull the
axle, you may have a hell-of-a time trying to get the bolt out of the trunion
and vertical link.  I spent hours working on mine.  Ended up have to machine
a punch with a tit that fit into a centering hole I drilled in the threaded
end of the bolt, heating the bolt with an oxy tourch, and them pressing the
things out.

Hope this helps.

John

        65 Rambler Classic