Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested
From: "Herbert Goede" <hgoede@uswest.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 12:04:30 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net, dwramsey@worldnet.att.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Honest I did not mean to offend.  Just sharing my viewpoint. I know all
about the parts problems.  I've owned my car since '74.  I really have no
problem with your priviledge to do what you want with your car.   I
especially love period modifications such as the Sebring kits and other
aftermarket stuff from the time.  My point is don't ruin a car of some
significance or call what is essentially a custom car "restored".

I have a couple of questions about some of what you said.  I know that the
H1, just like the other H series carbs used on the "Big" Healeys, tend to
leak buckets and that is one reason so many were replaced.  However, I did
not know that bugeyes were ever sold directly from the factory with a 1 1/4"
carb and a close ratio gearbox.  There were some after market companies,
like Sebring, that sold new bugeyes with those and other features.  Is yours
one of those?  Second, I've never heard of an 1 1/4" H1 carb.  All the  1
1/4" carbs I've seen and read about were HS2s.  The HS design carbs did not
leak so badly.  Can you give me some background?

It sounds like you have a great car.  Its unique features demonstrate my
point perfectly.  It would be a real shame if someone took such a special
vehicle flared the wheel wells, installed coil over suspension, and slapped
in a 1275 with Webers and a Datsun 5 speed.  I think that would be tragic.