Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: widget@pixi.com (Paul Swengler)
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 08:12:33 -0600
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul Swengler writes:
 > I'm not sure which manual TeriAnne gets her specs, but my manual shows
 > either 80 or 90 wt depending upon temperature! Of course my manual is for
 > the TR250 TR6. She may be looking at the TR3. Well: We all learn from our
 > mistakes. Hopefully Stanpart learned from theirs.
 > __________________________________________________-
 >
 > >Regarding TR4 O/D gearbox oil, TeriAnn wrote:
 > >
 > >>Use 30 wt motor oil. Do not use 90 wt.  Do not put anything strange &
 >slippery
 > >>into the transmission unless you want to rebuild the OD unit.  Look at your

You are both right!  Remember though, our manuals were written at a
time when many of the newer lubricants weren't available.  Sometimes
using a slightly different lubricant is better than what the
manufacture recommended at the time of writting (over 25 years ago!)

Check out these viscosity number's listed below..

|      SAE Gear Viscosity Number                              |
|  ________________________________________________________   |
|  |75W |80W  |85W|    90        |        140             |   |
|  |____|_____|___|______________|________________________|   |
|     SAE Crank Case Viscosity Number                         |
|  ____________________________                               |
|  |10| 20  | 30 | 40  |  50  |                               |
|  |__|_____|____|_____|______|                               |
2  4  6  8  10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40 42
                 viscosity cSt @ 100 degrees C

30 wt MOTOR oil is almost the same viscosity as 85W GEAR oil.
Different standards I guess.

I have used 15w50 synthetic motor oil in my honda trans.  It really
improved shifting, and the syncros really seemed to like it.  Of
course that trans calls for 10W40 motor oil.

TeriAnn also mentions about the use of synthetics WRT overdrive.
She's right...  I've used redline in my trans with O/D with no
problems.  But DO NOT add Slick50 or anything like that.   Oils that
"coat to protect" could be very bad for O/D.

Check out these oil FAQs for more info...

 http://cs.wpi.edu/~ravi/pages/pages/bike/docs/oil.html
 http://mtmis1.mis.semi.harris.com/syn_oil.html

-Scotty