Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: Chris Kantarjiev <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: Greg Meboe <meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 10:26:45 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 6 Jun 1995, Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

> I've happily been using Chevron Delo Lube; it's an 80-90 non-EP oil. Makes my
> gearboxes very happy. Unfortunately, one must buy it in a 5 gallon bucket.
>
> I've been using it in diffs, too, but have lately started to wonder if it's
>the
> non-EP status of this oil that is causing the whine...

Chris,
        I would imagine that is your problem, probably in conjunction
with the weight of your right foot.  Hypoid gears needd EP type
lubricants due to the high contact pressures and inherent 'wiping' design,
especially as the torque transmitted increases.

                Greg
                            Greg Meboe     meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu
                            Dept. of Mechanical and Materials Engineering
                            Washington State University,  Pullman, Wa.
                            '85 XJ-12 H.E. (daily)  '67 Spit-6 '74 TR-6