Veneer for dashboards

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Veneer for dashboards
From: lti@mail.msen.com (Limno-Tech Inc.)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 07:04:39 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net
Rob Pennington wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions for sources of veneer for a TR6
dashboard?

I built a new dash for my TR4 using 1/2" baltic birch plywood covered with
carpathian elm burl that I got from Bob Morgan, a mail-order outfit in
Tenn (?). The two trickiest parts of the job were gluing the veneer to the
substrate, and finishing it.  For the *first* dashboard, I used a hot melt
glue sheet that Bob Morgan sells, and had terrible results.  There were
bubbles everywhere that I just couldn't get out, and it delaminated
shortly after installation.  I took this as a lesson, and for the second
dash, I used yellow woodworkers glue (Elmo's) spread with a roller and
more clamps and cawls than you can imagine to hold the veneer flat while
the glue set up. After trimming away the excess around the gauge holes,
etc., I finished *both* sides with several coats of a exterior polyurethane
varnish, wet-sanded between coats.  The results were very satisfying.

Some pointers if you want to pursue this further:

- Pick up a copy of Fine Woodworking magazine for ads from mail-order
companies that sell tools and veneer.

-  In spite of anything you might hear to the contrary, DO NOT USE HOT
MELT GLUE SHEETS FOR MOUNTING THE VENEER.  This trap cost me a
significant amount of time and money (see below).

-  Make sure that you finish both sides and all edges of the dash to
thoroughly seal the wood and ensure even expansion and contraction.  I
used a chocolate brown enamel paint for the edges of my dash to match the
factory original.

-  Use the flattest, stiffest surface you can find for glueing.  I used a
12" wide section of butcher block, 5 ft. long.

-  Fancy veneer looks great, but it is more difficult to use and a *lot*
more expensive than the straight grain stuff.  A 1.2x4 ft. sheet of burl
set me back about $65. A similar sheet of straight grain walnut might cost
$10-15.

Good luck!

Dean Mericas
1965 TR4 (CT37089L)