RE: Spitfire 1500 engines

To: b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu
Subject: RE: Spitfire 1500 engines
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 95 08:58:20 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Brent

I didn't get any information on non-Triumph engines from the group. One
of my friends once installed a Ford 1.6 liter engine and it seemed to
work OK except the engine was even more worn than the average Triumph engine.
At the same time an automatic transmission was installed, pretty cool if
you are not too concerned about keeping the car original. It was quite fast
because of the big engine though the low weight of the car and the differential
caused it to shift gear upwards already at about 3000 rpm. I like to shift
gears myself though, gotta do something when driving ;)

When changing the engine the basic rule here in Denmark is that you may not
increase the power more than 20 %, meaning you can put in a 90 hp engine
(75 + 20 %) which is quite nice in a small car like the Spitfire.

 - Peter