RE: Spitfire 1500 engines

To: LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen <lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se>
Subject: RE: Spitfire 1500 engines
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 08:49:10 GMT
Cc: b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Brent, Peter

May I put in a belated two pence/cents worth?
> I didn't get any information on non-Triumph engines from the group. One
> of my friends once installed a Ford 1.6 liter engine and it seemed to
> work OK except the engine was even more worn than the average Triumph engine.
> At the same time an automatic transmission was installed, pretty cool if
> you are not too concerned about keeping the car original. It was quite fast
> because of the big engine though the low weight of the car and the
>differential
> caused it to shift gear upwards already at about 3000 rpm. I like to shift
> gears myself though, gotta do something when driving ;)
>
> When changing the engine the basic rule here in Denmark is that you may not
> increase the power more than 20 %, meaning you can put in a 90 hp engine
> (75 + 20 %) which is quite nice in a small car like the Spitfire.
>
>  - Peter
>

> > > I understand that the Spitfire 1500 engine is not in general
> > > regarded as better than the (Mk3) 1300 because it does not rev. as well.
> > > It also seems to have some inherent problems with the bearings. Does
> > > this apply to all versions of the 1500 or are some (later) years better
> > > than others? What is the best engine to put in a Spitfire? (Anyone tried a
> > > GT6 2 liter?). My priority is a stable engine for everyday use but I
> > > certainly don't mind some extra power.
> > >
> > > - Peter

The 1500 engine is basically the same whatever car it came from.  It and the
2500 engine cannot be revved as
hard as the smaller versions because they have a long stroke.  In general, if
the stroke is significantly longer than
the bore, then it is not likely to be good at revving.  I can't remember the
precise figures, but the bore on all the
engines is about 74 mm.  The stroke on the 1300 is a similar figure, but that
on the 1500/2500 is 90something.

It is also said that the smaller bearings on the Mark 3 Spitfire engine and the
early Herald 13/60 (GE series) create
less friction.  Certainly the 1500 engine requires more careful maintenance to
ensure long life i.e. regular oil
cahnges, good quality oil etc. whereas the 1300 will stand more abuse.  Against
all this is the fact that the 1500
produces quite a lot more torque for a similar bhp rating.

You can put a six-pot in the Spitfire but you will have to fit GT6/Vitesse
front suspension and brakes to cope
with the weight and the power.  You will also need the GT6 bonnet with the
bulge.  In the long run it is probably
easier and better to buy a GT6 and put a Spitfire body on it.

A guy called Andy Cook who is the Essex area coordinator for the TSSC in the UK
fitted an Alfa 2 litre engine in
a Spitfire a few years ago.  It went like the proverbial clappers but he was
very young at the time and had a great
deal of trouble getting insurance!

Phil
TSSC 13/60 Secretary