RE: Spitfire 1500 engines

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: Spitfire 1500 engines
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 12:32:23 GMT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Rich

> Does this mean that if the bore is bigger than the stroke by a significant
> amount it will rev it's nuts off.....:-)

Dunno, but you'll get b..... all torque.  It's all a bit complicated and a
compromise and I'm by no means an
expert.  However, the so-called square dimensions where bore roughly equals
stroke is usually the best, so I
understand.  Have you heard about the good old days in the UK where road tax
was based on the 'RAC' rating of
the engine.  This was calculated on bore not the stroke so, to reduce the duty
payable, engines had really long
strokes and tiny pistons.  Yuk!

On the other hand, I don't like being bored but a bit of stroking goes down
well.

From:   Phil Willson
        Electronic Engineering
        Queen Mary and Westfield College