Re: engine swap

To: NNORSKE@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine swap
From: triumph@igc.net (Chad Jester)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 08:07:45 -0500
Your wrote:

>I know this borders on heresy, however . . . I have a TR4 with a really bad
>transmission (serious rebuilding or replacement). Partly because of the
>expense involved with that problem

You should be able to get a used trans for well under 500.00 and bolt it
right in.  I would guess that a conversion ( by the time you buy all the
beer and snacks required ) would cost 1800 - 2500 plus a lot of running
around looking for bits to make it fit properly.

 and a kind of itch to make something
>different, I had a thought about replacing the engine and trans with a small
>V-8 or V-6. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of conversion?

If you're really bent on doing this, I would suggest using the Buick / Rover
215 cubic inch V-8.  They are light weight (about the same as your current 4
cyl), plentiful, and for the most part reliable.  I would then try to get a
Rover 5 speed gear box or possibly try to adapt a Japanese (Nissan or
Toyoty) 5 speed.  I know this would make some people cringe, but so what?
It is your car.

Good luck!

Chad Jester