Engine Swap

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Engine Swap
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 95 19:34:05 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

I've been following this thread for the last few days and couldn't
resist putting in my 2 cents, FWIW. I noticed there were a couple
of references to dropping a domestic (on this side of the pond,
that is) V6 or V8 into a Spitfire and I was hoping somebody could
tell me precisely how it was made to fit, as when I measured the
distance between the firewall and the steering rack on my Mk I
Spit, it was only 17 inches (!) give or take a half inch or so.
In measuring a 215 CID aluminum Buick  V8 (which by the way is a
terrific motor for tweaking), there was no way it would fit
without major cutting of the firewall, since there does not appear
to be anyway to relocate the steering rack  any farther forward.
I have no plans to make a swap and am withholding my personal
opinion about the wisdom of such swap, but I am interested in a
brief description of how it was done (i.e., was the firewall cut
and redesigned, etc.).  Anyone have any personal or indirect
experience?  Thanks,

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire Mk I (now undergoing major surgery)