Re: engine swap

To: NNORSKE@aol.com
Subject: Re: engine swap
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 08:22:00 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Thu, 7 Dec 1995 NNORSKE@aol.com wrote:

> I know this borders on heresy, however . . .

        Brother Torquemada WILL call on you.

> I have a TR4 with a really bad transmission (serious rebuilding or
        replacement).

        So rebuild or replace the tranny... It would definitely be cheaper
        the replacing the entire drive train. Think about it. You need to make
        some serious mod to the entire car. Will the old diff handle the
        torque the new engine and tranny will pass on? You'll probably have
        to modify or make a new drive shaft, not to mention the hundred
        or so other major and minor changes tha will get the thing running
        right.

        TRF, will sell you a rebuilt tranny for about $700 (someone will
        correct me if I'm wrong about the price), with your rebuildable core.

> Partly because of the expense involved with that problem and a kind of
> itch to make something different,

        Okay, have the engine balanced, blueprinted bored out fit a street
        cam, roller rockers, and Webers (or your choice)... Fit a fuel
        injector... Do the brainwork and install a turbocharger, or find an
        old Judsen Supercharger... Dechrome it put alloy rims on it. Customize
        the poo out of it. The car will still be a Triumph. You will have done
        something creative. But for the gods sake don't change that engine.
        (if you do though give it to me)

>I had a thought about replacing the engine and trans with a small V-8 or
>V-6. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of conversion?

        In most cases the results are a bodge.

> there anyone who makes a kit?

        Not that I know.

> Am I crazy?

        No comment.

> I saw an XK-E last summer with a V-8 conversion that really looked
> better than stock.

        That owner now has a car that is worth a fraction of what the
        original car would command, forever. He's lost the sound of a
        wonderful six cylinder engine; Real competition for many
        8 cylinder cars and quite a few Italian 12 cyl cars. He's also tossed
        history into the wastebasket. I'll also take issue as to which is
        more beautiful. A Jaguar DOHC 6 and all that aluminum and chrome bright
        and polished, gets my vote everytime!

        I don't think I'm a purist (especially when you consider that my
        own TR4 is hardly originally equipped). Please reconsider

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois