Re: engine swap

To: b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu
Subject: Re: engine swap
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 95 13:44:56 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Brent writes:

>No of any easy engine swaps for a Spitfire? (and where can I get the
>specific details) brent

Brent,
 I am a past President of our local BMC and whil recruiting one day, I
came across a young fellow who had put a Chevy V-6 (cast block) into a
Spit. He had a 5 bolt chev rear end cut down, drive line and all and it
made a beautiful installation. He however said that the performance
turned out to be something less than he had expected because of the
weight. Said he was going to alum. block V-6. My experience says this
should have been his first choice.
 A Spit suspension lacks enough beef to go for major engine changes. You
can go to heavier springs and spindles and go the 2.L GT6 engine route.
I personally have a love affair going with GT6 Mk 1. It's a reliable engine
plenty of torque and if you don't want to race it, it would be a good
conversion by just beefing upp the front springs.
 There are a Zillion options and evryone has their favorites. Right now,
I am getting ready to put a Spit engine into a Sprite. Just to have
something to do.
 You should decide how the car will be used and take it from there.
The 1500 Spit engine is quite reliable and can be "tricked" to run quite
impressively.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.
Tony R.
66,67,68,69GT6