Re: Problems with new fuel (was Marvel Mystery Oil)

To: ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Problems with new fuel (was Marvel Mystery Oil)
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:25:06 -0500

<< A mechanic at where I work suggest that I should put in 16 oz of rubbing
 alcohol (90% or higher) in the tank for every third or fourth time I fill it
 up - supposedly that should clean out the engine, plugs, etc.  Any
 thoughts/experience on this? >>

I don't know how this compares to other additives for cleaning the fuel
system, but be careful about what you buy.  Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl
alcohol -- the alcohol of choice for de-watering a fuel system.  If you have
water in your fuel this is the stuff to use to dry it out (this is what's in
Iso-Heet, the "better" grade of Heet winter fuel conditioner).
 Unfortunately, it's hard to find 90% rubbing alcohol -- most is about 70%,
meaniing it already contains 30% water.  Anhydrous isopropyl alcohol (no
water or nearly no water) is the best for this use.  Beware when shopping --
70% rubbing alcohol is the normally available type, and will probably cause
more problems than it will cure.

-Karl