Re: Spit Lightswitch

To: "(dave eaton)" <dezn490@wadnr.gov> (Return requested)
Subject: Re: Spit Lightswitch
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 13 Nov 1996 10:40:14 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Cc: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 052B8328A160E013-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <052B8328A160E013*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Hmmmm.  Interesting.  Boy, I hate to say it but I am still a little
confused.

My Spit is the Mk I, US version left hand drive.  It came with a three
position column stalk that controls the headlamps (off, parking lamps,
headlamps on low beam), and a floor mounted high beam switch.  It APPEARS
that the pull switch that was mounted to the dashboard next to the speedo
simply controlled the instrument panel lights so that one could read the
gauges at night - nothing more.  Where I got all balled up was the fact that
(1) the DPO installed what LOOKS like a hazard warning switch in its place
(which as we all know was not available on early Spits) which has only two
lugs for wires and (2) I was using the wiring diagrams in the Bentley,
Haynes and Autopress manuals, ALL of which are for a non-US spec. car
(AAARRGGHH!!!!).  Thank God Andy Mace found a US spec. diagram in an old
Spit owners manual - it saved my day.

If I am correct that the original switch simply controlled the lights for
the gauges, then I may be able to make the existing switch work (except that
the knob has that funny little diagram of a broken rear axle on it, of
course).  I mean, it has the proper matching bezel, it is the same size and
shape, and the knob sticks on via the spring with little metal cylinder
method.  So, let me take another shot at it this weekend and I'll let
everyone know next week where I stand.

As I mentioned before, the wierdest part of this whole mess is that there do
not appear to be enough wires left from the harness in order to connect up
to the switch that I saw diagramed in VB's catalog.  I am left wondering if
THAT switch is intended for a NON-US spec. car, as it would appear that it
might have lugs for all the wires to control the parking beams, low beams,
wire to the high beams, etc.  (This is getting ridiculous - I mean for God's
sake these are simple little british cars, not a modern electronics filled
luxury sedan bristling with wires, circuits, fuses, relays, computers, etc.
 I should be able to troubleshoot this thing in a couple of hours).

So, another weekend spent farting around with the wiring harness - oh boy.
 Thanks for the info. on the switch.  I'll let you know.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4