FW: Spit Lightswitch

To: "Triumph Group" <triumphs@autox.team.net> (Return requested)
Subject: FW: Spit Lightswitch
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com>
Date: 13 Nov 1996 11:58:55 -0800
Alternate-recipient: Allowed
Conversion: Allowed
Disclose-recipients: Prohibited
X400-content-type: P2-1988 ( 22 )
X400-mts-identifier: [/c=us/admd=attmail/prmd=transam/; 06F08328A287F001-mtamailhub]
X400-originator: Ross.Vincenti@transamerica.com
X400-recipients: non-disclosure; <06F08328A287F001*/c=US/admd=ATTmail/prmd=Transam/o=tfs/s=Vincenti/g=Ross/@MHS>
Dave Eaton wrote:

[snip] I think what you have there is like the wireing for my Herald. You
have a
master lightswitch on the dash that turns on the dash lights as well as the
the rest
of the lights, [snip]

Nope -  the dash switch controls only the dash lights for the gauges.  It
does not turn the headlamps on/off.  That is done by the column switch which
has 3 positions - off/parking lamps on/headlamps on.

[snip] now the rest of the lights are controled by the switch on the
steering column which should control high beam, low beam and marker or
parking
lights, [snip]

Nope - the column switch has nothing whatsoever to do with the high beam
switch (except that  a wire does run from it to the floor mounted switch to
let it know when the head lights are on versus off).

[snip] now you have the foot switch to again control high and low beams.
I think the foot switch was a USA regulation thing, as far as I know only US
cars have this switch. [snip]

Yup.  That's correct.

[snip] I can only guess that you are correct in that the proper switch for
your car
with the five prongs is; master lightswitch for the dash,marker lights, high
beam and low beam again being redundent by the column and floor switches.
[snip]

Well, no, not really.  The CORRECT switch for the early US spc. Spit would
probably only have two prongs (or maybe three for a ground wire), and would
in effect be a very simple on/off switch where you have a hot lead coming
into the switch and and a lead leaving the switch going to one gauge light,
which is then connected to another gauge light, etc.  When pulled out to the
"on" position, juice flows to light the bulbs in the gauges.  There would be
no need for any other arrangment because the main lighting circuit is
totally separate.  (Is there a gun around here somewhere so I can shoot
myself?)

As I said, this is becoming amazingly complicated when it is really pretty
simple (I think).  Just discussing it is, however, clarifying things a whole
bunch for me.  I think I will spend some time this weekend simply looking at
how the gauges are wired up for illumination.  If I am right, they would
only work through the dash switch and have nothing to do with the column
mounted headlamp switch.  If I am wrong . . . . .   I'm hosed.  (sigh).

Thanks for the dialog, it is helping believe it or not.  Cheers.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4