Re: new subscriber&TR6 clutch trouble

To: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@pbgi.com>
Subject: Re: new subscriber&TR6 clutch trouble
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 12:17:08 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Pete & Aprille Chadwell wrote:

> The black particles are almost certainly what is left of rubber in the
> cylinders.  The problem for me, really, is why is the proper brake fluid in
> my car destroying the seals in my system, and not in everyone else's?

Pete, it may or may not be the fluid destroying the seals.  I had a `63
Spitfire in which someone had put the incorrect fluid into the brake
system before I bought it.  The seals (and this is the typical mode of
failure, from what I understand) swelled and finally lost so much
elastic strength that they ruptured... voila, no brakes. This happened
quite suddenly (unfortunately, coming up to a light in the middle of
rush-hour traffic in downtown Honolulu <g>).  But there weren't
particles in the fluid.

Black particles suggest abrasion (in a new cylinder and slave, I would
not venture a guess why), but I would ask, since I don't have a TR6 in
the garage, does the car have a flex hose between master and slave?
Think Nickbk mentioned this a while back.  If true, that hose could be
tired, and if it has gotten brittle and has started to crack internally,
would also shed pieces of rubber.

And, as Nickbk said, it would also expand more under pressure, thus
limiting the pressure delivery to the slave because of the volume
change.  Moreover, since rubber is compressible, the more rubber shed
into the fluid, the higher the overall compressibility of the fluid.  If
you've been flushing the fluid with each change of master/slave, and the
problem then gets progressively worse, it might be something like
that.
Cheers.