Re: new subscriber&TR6 clutch trouble

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new subscriber&TR6 clutch trouble
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 09:02:25 -0800
Creig:

Thank you for your response.  I have isolated the problem to be within the
hydraulics.  True, that little clevis pin and yoke that connects the pedal
with the cylinder does wear out, and quite quickly, too.  The holes in the
yoke get elongated, and the clevis pin on my car when I got it had two deep
grooves around its shank.  I thought they were machined that way, but
indeed they were a result of wear.  There was as much as an inch of slop at
the end of the pedal back then!  I have eliminated mechanical play in the
system as much as possible.

I would recommend against using the upper hole in the clutch release arm.
This requires you to exert more stress on the hydraulics, since it provides
less leverage.  I understand that it creates greater movement of the
realease mechanism inside the bellhousing, but I would expect that it may
create more problems for you later.

I wonder if it is possible to remanufacture the master cylinder pushrod,
with its yoke, out of a muck harder material so as prevent wear?  Anybody
out there have any other solutions to this area?

The black particles are almost certainly what is left of rubber in the
cylinders.  The problem for me, really, is why is the proper brake fluid in
my car destroying the seals in my system, and not in everyone else's?

Thanks again!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6
1970 TR6