Re: new subscriber&TR6 clutch trouble

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new subscriber&TR6 clutch trouble
From: dynamic@pbgi.com (Pete & Aprille Chadwell)
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 1996 09:02:57 -0800
MotobobP:

Now this could be very instructive...  One thing I'm looking for,
obviously, is other folks with the same inexplicable trouble.  I suspect,
after dealing with this problem one way or another for ten years, that
there will be no easy answer.  To me, this is just very, very weird!  You
haven't noticed any deterioration in the operation of the clutch?  (yet!?)
The way it happened with my car is that, for the most part, the
deterioration happened gradually.  I mentioned that there was a period
where I had to rebuild the cylinders every three weeks, but that only
accounts for 3 rebuilds, as I remember.  The other incidents took longer
than that, anywhere from several months to maybe even close to a year.
Keep a close watch on it, paying close attention to where in the pedal
travel disengagement occurs, and notice if you detect that that point is
"migrating" towards the floor.  Also, shifting will become a little more
difficult, and eventually, 1st gear and reverse will be "unavailable" at a
dead stop. If you look at the fluid in the reservoir closely, under direct
light, do you see black particles?  In my case, the fluid really is clear,
but it is polluted with actual suspended particles that give it the
appearance of turning black.  And at an advanced stage, you cannot see the
bottom of the reservoir at all, and probably not even 1/2" into the fluid
itself, because it becomes so dense and opaque.

Keep me informed, please... we may be onto something!

Pete Chadwell

1973 TR6
1970 TR6
1973 240z