73 TR6 front suspension

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: 73 TR6 front suspension
From: Robert J Carley <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 19:21:02 -0500 (EST)
A question to the list?.

While rebuilding my front suspension, I noticed that both of the 'side
brace sub-assemblies', that is, the bars that run from the frame up to
brace the 'turret assemblies'  on the front suspension are both kinked a
little, right where they join the turret assemblies.  The driver's side is
a little worse than the passenger side.

I assume this means that at one time some impact caused these to kink.

I also noticed that there was unequal placement of shims where the lower
wishbones bolt to the frame.  On the driver's side, there was one shim at
the rear wishbone and none at the front wishbone.  On the passenger's
side, there was one shim at the front wishbone and none at the rear
wishbone.  Should there be equal shims  at each wishbone on each side?

In addition, on the driver's side the tie rod length was shorter than
on the passenger side; i.e. the tie rod end on the driver's side was
screwed on more than the tie rod end on the passenger's side.  The
difference was quite noticeable, about .5 inch or more.  The factory
manual indicates that both tie rods should be of equal length to ensure
proper turning geometry.

Does this setup indicate an attempt to compensate for slight damage to the
side brace sub-assemblies i.e. 'shifting' the front suspension slightly;
is it sloppy alignment work that someone has carried out; or are the
shim placements and unequal tie rod length normal?

If this is an attempt to compensate for frame damage, is it possible to
have this damage corrected?  Or, is it necessary to repair the side
braces- can I just replace the front suspension components as they were
-shims, tierod, etc.  The car steered fine before.

Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm  still learning about Triumphs,
(and LBC's in general) after having had a bugeye and a TD.

P.S.  I have used terminology from the TRF spare parts catalogue to
describe the above components.

Thanks

Robert Carley
Ontario, Canada