Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 10:27:51 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On 22 Jan 1997 Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with putting a GT6 engine in a Spitfire?
>
> Questions:
>
> 1)  Does a GT6 bonnet fit a Spit without alterations?

Yes, assuming appropriate parallel versions: GT6 Mk.1 bonnet on Spitfire 4
or Mk.2; GT6+/Mk.2 bonnet on Spitfire Mk.3; GT6 Mk.3 bonnet on Spitfire
Mk.IV or 1500.

> 2)  Are GT6/Spitfire motormounts identical?

As to where the mounts fasten to the suspension turrets, yes. Mounts
themselves, no.

> 3)  Are the Spit and GT trannys interchangeable, or does one need the GT6
>engine AND tranny for the conversion (not to mention the radiator)?

One truly needs the GT6 tranny with the GT6 engine, both for gearing and
(don't laugh, GT6 fans) added strength. Similarly, one should use the GT6
diff, axles, and brakes all 'round.

> 4)  Can the Spit suspension be left unmodified, even with the added weight of
>the GT6 engine?

Well, no. At least you'd want to use the GT6 front springs.

> 5)   And the big question:   Is it worth it?

Well, yes, and maybe no. If you've an otherwise trashed GT6 that has the
needed donor parts, go for it. Personally I'd hate to see a good GT6
carved up for the sake of making an incredibly quick, fun, roadster that,
if constructed properly, could look like something perhaps the factory
should have done. (How's that for waffling?)

Best way to do it is to think not of upgrading a Spitfire to GT6
mechanicals, but rather to transplant a Spitfire body tub onto a GT6 frame
with bonnet. There are dozens of little niggling details to smooth out,
but very few of them involve much more than wrench work if you go the "GT6
frame with Spitfire tub" route.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *