Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?
From: Bob Sykes <105572.2266@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:33:13 -0500
Greetings Triumphal Ones,

The Honorable Mr. Mace writes:

>Best way to do it is to think not of upgrading a Spitfire to GT6
>mechanicals, but rather to transplant a Spitfire body tub onto a GT6 frame
>with bonnet. There are dozens of little niggling details to smooth out,
>but very few of them involve much more than wrench work if you go the "GT6
>frame with Spitfire tub" route.

This seems the most straightforward approach to build that
"Triumph that shoulda been".  One day I'd like to make one.
The steps involved are well known and documented except for
one that I'm curious about:

Are there pitfalls associated with running rotoflex in conjuction with
the Spit body tub?   It seems that the radius arm mounting
points would have to be moved.  What about the doughnuts, will they
interfere with the body?

I suppose the best candidate would be a very late GT6 with a swing spring
(oops, perhaps I shouldn't be asking about rear suspensions just now ;-))
but most likely donors would be rotoflex IMHO.

Just wondering,

Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____  s1500@aol.com (When I can connect)
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0-> 105572.2266@compuserve.com (during January)