Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 14:30:19 -0800
> Bob Sykes writes:
< snip >
> I suppose the best candidate would be a very late GT6 with a swing spring
> (oops, perhaps I shouldn't be asking about rear suspensions just now ;-))
> but most likely donors would be rotoflex IMHO.
Not to worry, everythings copacetic.  There's nothing wrong with a
difference of opinion, everybody has one and to some extent that's what this
forum is about!

As to which to use, the later 73 MKIII GT6 with the swing spring would be
the easiest to convert because the mounting points of the radius rods and
rear attachment is the same as all Spitfires.  However, one can use the
rotoflex with a Spitfire, it just requires a little more
welding/frabracation in that the shocks mount to brackets welded inside the
wheel wells, and the pivot points are moved inboard.  Also the brake lines
and hydraulic lines are different as well as the handbrake cable.  This is
exactly what I did with my Spitfire and this was before the parts were
readily available.  The inner holes are already in most Spitfire body tubs
for the pivot points, but you will have to weld the brackets and plates for
reinforcement around the tub as done on the GT6.  These parts are mostly
available from Victoria British, and the rest can be taken off the doner
car.  Another alternative as suggested by another on the list is a shock
conversion available to bolt to the existing frame to attach the GT6 shocks
without the welding I just described.  The other possibility is to use an
early MKI GT6 as this used the same rear as the pre MKIV Spitfires.
Personally, unless you were going to the rotoflex suspension I would opt for
the minor mods to the firewall area (very minor trimming) and re weld the
radiator mounting brackets to the Spitfire.   It would be a lot less work
than switching tubs/frames.  Remember also that you will create a rather
front heavy Spitfire, and will not necessarily drive/feel the same.  Also
the steering ratio on the GT6 rack is slower ( more turns lock to lock ),
probably to impart a lighter feel so you may want to consider exactly what
you want.

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (major surgery almost done) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+