Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?
From: Bob Sykes <105572.2266@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 20:42:30 -0500
Triumphal Ones,

Thanks for some good info.  I can see that my questions were too easy ;-)
Permit me to flog this subject just once more....

I'm wondering if it's possible to use the Spit single rail gearbox.
Triumphal wisdom says you must use the GT6 unit.
(Setting aside the relative "strength" of  each box for a moment)
There is the problem with the starter location and tranny input
shaft.  Is it possible to swap the engine backplates and tranny
bellhousings to overcome the starter problem?  Can the fly-wheels
be changed to accomodate the input shaft?  Am I overlooking something
obvious?

Wrt to the "strength" of the gearboxes- (opinion time)
Some of the published info on GT6s claim that the gearbox is a fairly
weak design which should be evaluated closely when contemplating
purchasing a car.  The same is said of the earlier three rail Spit boxes,
while the single rail was touted as a "big improvement".  Is the single
rail box still weaker than a GT6 tranny?  (ignoring gear ratios)  I've
driven plenty of Spits (both boxes) but only 2 GT6s.  I'm partial to the
single rail gearbox.

I Probably should be pondering more important things....

Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____  s1500@aol.com (When I can connect)
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0-> 105572.2266@compuserve.com (during January)