Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Put a GT6 motor in a Spit?
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 22 Jan 97 8:51:32
Does anyone have experience with putting a GT6 engine in a Spitfire?

Questions:

1)  Does a GT6 bonnet fit a Spit without alterations?
2)  Are GT6/Spitfire motormounts identical?
3)  Are the Spit and GT trannys interchangeable, or does one need the GT6
engine AND tranny for the conversion (not to mention the radiator)?
4)  Can the Spit suspension be left unmodified, even with the added weight of
the GT6 engine?
5)   And the big question:   Is it worth it?

Iım not contemplating this large undertaking anytime soon, but in a Şbig
pictureŞ sort of way, I was toying with the idea of converting my car to a GT6
powerplant in a few years, once my own engine was gasping for rebuild ...

Martin Secrest
ı74 Spitfire 1500
FM18943