PDWAs and tandem master cylinders...

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: PDWAs and tandem master cylinders...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 1997 22:53:11 -0500 (EST)
At the risk of a: putting my foot in my mouth and/or b: fanning yet
another flame war (one on this list at a time is quite enough, thank you,
could we move on?), I'd like to briefly address the question of the
dreaded PDWA (pressure differential warning actuator).

Contrary to opinion, I'm pretty darned sure (and the workshop manuals
seem to support me here, unless I'm misreading something) that the PDWA
serves ONLY to actuate the warning light on the dash, should a failure of
one circuit occur. The PDWA does nothing else (except for leaking all by
itself at times, in which case I don't know WHAT warns you of that). It
is, again according to the workshop manuals, "mechanical action" in the
master cylinder, with its varios chambers, springs and tipping valve,
that help to keep the other circuit somewhat functional should one leak
or otherwise fail.

FWIW....

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *