Re: PDWAs and tandem master cylinders...

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PDWAs and tandem master cylinders...
From: Mark Moburg <markmoburg@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 09:17:53 -0500
At 10:53 PM 1/23/97 GMT, you wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Jan 1997, Bill Georgas wrote:
>
>> I also thought the movement of the piston closed
>> off the offending subsystem, in effect limiting the loss of brake fluid.
>
>Have you inspected the internals of the unit at all? There are end stops
>that limits the piston travel - the piston does not block any flow of
>brake fluid in any position. Period.
>
>Egil

Actually, there has to be.  Although there are two separate circuits
starting at the master cylinder as noted in other posts, IMHO, the piston
itself ~must~ block the flow of fluid; otherwise when you applied the
brakes, the pressure would go where there's least resistance - to the
circuit that there's been a failure in.  Not necessarily that the movement
of the piston when there's been a failure must close off one side, but
there can't be any connection between the two circuits, or loss of one
means loss of both.  Right???  I'm trying hard to remember my high
school physics class, and the lectures on fluid dynamics . . .

Mark Moburg
markmoburg@mindspring.com