Thrust Washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Thrust Washers
From: Carol Zingone <JRHoffman@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 10:07:00 -0400
I took Sybill to the mechanic's last nite for a professional diagnosis
on the noise I've been hearing on shifting into gear, and after the
appropriate time of 3 beers (each), she *finally* started making the
noise for him.  Atta girl !

We had (mechanic, list, me) thought clutch slave and M/C.  At first last
night, he thought those little clevis pins, so, therefore, clutch
adjustment (a happy answer to me!).

However, when she finally performed as the bitch she can be (and he
thought she just liked him !), he has come to the unhappy conclusion
that new thrust washers are in my very near future.  Now, having a
*starter garage*, and no engine hoist, there is virtually no way I can
do this myself, is there ?

Also, he quoted me $600 for the job.  Sound reasonable ?  He says it
takes about 2 hours to pull the engine.  I think he'd be willing to let
me *assist* (ie do all the prep work and all the finish work), and cut
some slack on the final bill...so, now I'm considering taking a 1/2 day
to be a junior grease monkey.

I'm grateful to the collective wisdom on the list, and to have a
mechanic that will work for beer (at least he did for a few hours last
night...the thrust washers aren't a beer job.  I asked already !).

Input, advice and donations are welcome ;-)

Carol Zingone
74 TR6 -- Sybill