Re: Thrust Washers

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Thrust Washers
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 1997 16:06:34 -0400
Hi Carol, saw your post :

 >I took Sybill to the mechanic's last nite for a professional diagnosis
 >on the noise I've been hearing on shifting into gear, and after the
 >appropriate time of 3 beers (each), she *finally* started making the
 >noise for him.  Atta girl !
 >
 >We had (mechanic, list, me) thought clutch slave and M/C.  At first last
 >night, he thought those little clevis pins, so, therefore, clutch
 >adjustment (a happy answer to me!).
 >
 >However, when she finally performed as the bitch she can be (and he
 >thought she just liked him !), he has come to the unhappy conclusion
 >that new thrust washers are in my very near future.  Now, having a
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just for the record, I'd suggest having the mechanic set up a dial
indicator on the crank pulley; lever it toward the rear as far as
possible, then push on the clutch and see how many thou it moves.
Specs are in the manuals, ISTR that 8 to 10 thou are ok, if you
are hearing noises it may be much more than that.

 >*starter garage*, and no engine hoist, there is virtually no way I can
 >do this myself, is there ?

You may be very interested in buying a copy of the Six Tech manual,
by the former tech editor for the 6-Pack club...he says that he
can change his thrust washers in his driveway, with the car on jack
stands, by crawling under the car and dropping the oil pan.  Yes,
it's dirty and messy and uncomfortable, but he claims it is a one-
day job, including locating all the necessary tools.

 >Also, he quoted me $600 for the job.  Sound reasonable ?  He says it
 >takes about 2 hours to pull the engine.  I think he'd be willing to let
                         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !! Yikes .. see above

 >me *assist* (ie do all the prep work and all the finish work), and cut
 >some slack on the final bill...so, now I'm considering taking a 1/2 day
 >to be a junior grease monkey.
 >
 >I'm grateful to the collective wisdom on the list, and to have a
 >mechanic that will work for beer (at least he did for a few hours last
 >night...the thrust washers aren't a beer job.  I asked already !).
 >
 >Input, advice and donations are welcome ;-)
 >
 >Carol Zingone
 >74 TR6 -- Sybill

I'd strongly suggest getting a copy of Six Tech and reading the
thrust washer section, before you commit any big bucks to this job.
$600. sounds like too much for just dropping the oil pan, and if
your mechanic has a nice rack, it should be relatively easy, compared
to Len's method.  But first -- get an accurate end-float reading for
your crankshaft, to see if there is really trouble there !

Len's address, from the 6-Pack newsletter  (thanks Kerry !)
Len Renkenberger
8245 Ingleton Circle
Easton  MD   21601

Price  $20. US  postpaid !  ( a real deal, IMHO )  allow 2 wks
 "no Canadian orders at this time"

Good luck
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
  "don't fix it if it ain't broke"
'72 TRident 750cc  basket case  (yep, hit's broke)