Re: Electric Cooling Fans

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Cooling Fans
From: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com (Kinderlehrer's)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 00:44:50 -0400 (EDT)
Ok, now I'm very confused. The output of the alternator is dependent on the
rotation speed of the armature, ie RPM of the engine. Unlike an air
conditioner, there is no clutch mechanism that engages and disenges, so if
I put an electric fan in the car, then I have to go faster to get more
horsepower to the fan motor??

Does this mean I will get better gas mileage if I turn the radio off? :)

I guess I'm lucky because I have a TR3 with a generator which is far less
than 100% efficient. It keeps on turning even after the battery is charged
up and it isn't really needed, so I can use those wasted revs to drive my
electric fan (when I get one).

BobK