re: Polishing SU suction chamber cover

To: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Subject: re: Polishing SU suction chamber cover
From: Allen Nugent <A.Nugent@unsw.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 10:48:41 +1000 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Shawn,

At 08:11 9/09/98 -0600, you wrote:
>       I know this will sound strange, but I have heard that oven cleaner
>works well on this. I haven't tried it myself yet. Some people in my club
>have used it and have had very good results. You might try it on a small
>section and see how it works. I'll try it on my ZS 175CD's and let
>everybody know.

Oven cleaner is caustic, which, as someone recently pointed out (in
connection with carbon removal), eats aluminum. Used sparingly, it should be
great for polishing aluminum, but I wouldn't get it near any
critical-tolerance surfaces.

Allen Nugent
Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering
University of New South Wales
Sydney  2052  Australia