Re: TR headlights

To: "Linda Long (IM)" <LLong@Kollmorgen.com>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR headlights
From: "David Greed" <greed@wave.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:47:06 +1200charset="iso-8859-1"
Tom

I have upgraded the headlights on my Triumph over the years, to what I
believe is a very satisfactory setup.

The standard lights were replaced with Hella units. At the same time, I
installed a relay system which is essential to get the full wattage out to
the lights. I originally had 60/55W Halogen bulbs, but have recently
upgraded these to Xenon bulbs - refer to www.hella.co.nz for details on
these. In short the effect of the 60W is the same as the 100W halogen bulb,
while it is much better for the electrical system.

The Xenon bulb is an exact match to the Halogen bulb, it is just the gas
inside that differs, so fitting them is a breeze. Because of this, they can
also be fitted to any car that uses the standard halogen bulb. Thats what my
friend (who in the transport retail business) did to his Toyota Camry after
he sold me the bulbs and saw the effect...

The lights give an excellent penetration and spread of light. The only time
they cause annoyance is when they have got dirty, by which time they are not
as good to drive with either. Indeed, dirty headlights can be just as
annoying as badly aimed headlights to an oncoming driver.

The 2500S (indeed all the 2000/2500 series) is blessed with a four headlight
system, but the effect would be the same on any car. Because there are four
lights, it was a bit more expensive, but the all up retail cost would have
been about $NZ500 - about $US250 - 300. This included lights, relays, the
replacement Xenon bulbs and headlight protectors.

David Greed
1979 2500S Man O/D

Email: greed@wave.co.nz  (Home)
 sys_dwg@cmosaf.telecom.co.nz (Work - AlphaStation)