RE: Curious...everybody's list of how to modernize...

To: "'List, Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Curious...everybody's list of how to modernize...
From: Davies William-qswi646 <QSWI646@email.mot.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 11:59:53 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Well, I've owned plenty of Triumphs in various states of modification (by
previous owners), but I've been inclined to make very few changes myself. My
Herald 1200 Saloon has been daily transport since 1994, and has received the
following:

1 - Lucas alternator fitted. As I work only 3 miles from home, I was running
down the battery frequently. In more "normal" driving conditions I have
always found the dynamo adequate, though a loud stereo was never fitted...

2 - Overdrive. I've been delighted with this. Makes any motorway driving a
breeze. I don't really know if I can call this a modification though, as it
was available as a factory fitted option.

3 - Stainless Exhaust. I got tired of changing silencers every 2 years! I
did fit a standard pattern system though.

4 - Swing spring. Certainly improved the handling, but it doesn't feel quite
like a Herald anymore. I will probably fit an Estate spring and a camber
compensator during the rebuild.

That's about the sum total of the changes I've made. I'm interested to see
how many people have gone for electronic ignition. Several years ago I
rescued a friend when the electronic ignition failed on his Mini, miles away
from home. If he'd had the original Lucas points I'd have got him going, the
electronic system meant he cam home on the end of a rope!
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupé Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupé
\________________________/  1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
 | |                  | |   1970 Spitfire MkIII
 |_|                  |_|   1973 Spitfire MkIV
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup