Re: trans. mounts

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trans. mounts
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 14:04:36 -0500
Randall wrote:

> Brian :
>
> It's true, OD or non-OD makes no difference to the mounting (at least
> for A type, I assume J type is the same).  However, the later
> synchro-1st tranny used on TR4 and up is around 1/2-3/4" longer than the
> early non-synchro box used in TR2-3A.
>
> Randall

You know, I've done the conversion a few times and never ran into a problem.  I
guess the
difficulty comes if you're using the non-syncro chassis cross-piece instead of
the later
one.  I'll have to have a look at some of my spares and see how different they
are.  Must
just have been lucky to have grabbed the right ones each time when doing this
in the past.

BTW, the J-OD mounting is VERY different from the A-type.  While it is possible
to make the
necessary pieces to fit, there is a lot of fabrication involved.  If anyone is
considering
installing OD in a '3/'4 or early '6 car, it would be much better to trade the
J for an A.
The J-OD is really only easily installed in the '73 and later TR-6.  If you
have a later
TR-6, then you can install either type easily.  The A-OD in the late '6 just
requires the
brackets used for the late non-OD cars.  The A-type bolts right up to the
non-OD mounts in
these later cars.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                         Check out Power British
   1242 E. Ridge Pike                            on the 'net!
Plymouth Meeting, PA 19462
    (610) 270-0505                http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars