Re: trans. mounts

To: vafred@erols.com
Subject: Re: trans. mounts
From: WBabbitt@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 19:50:15 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/27/99 8:53:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vafred@erols.com writes:

<< Listers, I have a fellow T/R 3 owner call last night for info about a 64
T/R
 4 tranny w/O.D. (type A) he wants to put in his "3", seems the tranny is
 about 1/2" longer than the rear trans. mount, need some advice as to the
 best & safest way to complete this project, (no the O/D is not for sale),
 should the mounts be moved back the 1/2" and will this in anyway weaken the
 frame set-up. Thanks. "FT" >>

Fred,
I found the same to be true when I installed the trans from a TR4A into my
TR3A.  The frame bracket that the trans mount bolts down to, is itself bolted
to the frame.  What I did was use the frame bracket from the TR4A and moved
the holes for the trans mount aft to accomodate the extra length.  The design
of thr TR4A frame bracket is a little more forgiving in this case, and I
wanted to preserve the TR3A bracket (ability to restore to original).
Bill Babbitt
TR3A in a bag
Gales Ferry, Ct