Re: rear shock conversions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <dogaboodogs3@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: rear shock conversions
From: "Steven McCutcheon" <Steven.McCutcheon@MAH.GOV.ON.CA>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 15:02:27 -0400
Greg:  I installed the one-pieces bracket and KYB's on a recent ground-up of a
'73 TR6.  Along with the poly bushings it is absolutely unbelievable the
difference it is to drive this car now!  It feels responsive and predicatble
and, dare I say, more like a new car.  While the TR6 has always been a
rewarding back-roads driver, I used to hate driving the 6 on the open highway.
Anything over 50 mph felt dangerous and revealed strong tendancies to float and
often I found myself chasing my back-end all over the highway every time I hit
a heat seam in the road.  Now, the car remains on track and is very stable and
predicatble over bumps.  In a few words, my vote is: GO FOR IT!
Steve Mc

>>> "Gregory Damron" <dogaboodogs3@hotmail.com> 10/17/00 02:22PM >>>

Hello List,
     I've been on the list for about 2 weeks and I'm really enjoying it.
At the risk of offending those who believe in keeping their cars absolutely
stock, I'm considering a tube shock conversion for my TR6.  My lever shocks
are shot.  I've tried to revive them and haven't been successful.  The local
Moss distributor says they won't sell rebuilt ones because they fail rapidly
(maybe they also make a lot more money on new ones).  There seem to be 3
basic designs of these conversions:  1 has a 3 piece bracket (Vic. Brit and
Moss), and 1 of them from Vic. Brit. has a 1 piece bracket.  This latter kit
comes with KYB shocks and the others are available with Koni, Spax or
Monroe.  Has anyone tried one of these kits?

Greg Damron
1969 Rover 2000 SC
1970 GT6+
1972 Jag XJ6